Today, NOT strictly yeasty beasty or bread at all………..But when my baby wants to cook with me and will allow me to do it with him like we used to all the time, how can I say no and discriminate against NON- YEAST products. He makes a mean chocolate cake with vanilla bean icing!! Mmmmmmmmmmm
Especially as SOON he won’t want to cook with mumma, being on the cusp of teenage hood as he is and i will miss my helper until he is about 17-18 I suppose……..
We have used the wonderful recipe of a Devils food cake from David Lebovitz and tweaked it for NZ conditions. I love David’s blog, he is so funny and he is able to laugh at himself and his fellow americans and their somewhat quirky ways. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/08/devils-food-cak/
Without further ado:
Alex’s amazing moist chocca choc cake with vanilla bean icing.
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 120g butter
- 2tsp vanilla
- 9 tbsp of dutch cocoa
- 1.5 cups of castor sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup warmed milk
- 1/2 cup coffee
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- pinch salt
- 3 cups of sifted icing sugar
- Vanilla bean pod
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 g butter
- 1-2 tbsp milk to mix.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Add in vanilla essence.
- Prepare coffee and pour into milk .
- Preheat oven to 180 celsius.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour, salt, cocoa, BP)
- Add baking soda to coffee milk mix, stir well.
- Add half of dry and half of milky mix to butter mix.
- When combined well, add rest of dry and milky to butter mix.
- Pour into prepared and lined baking tin.
- Look at using 20 cm tin but it’s not hard and fast but remember the bigger the tin, the less height you will get.
- I usually use a tin that I have had for ever, it will be passed on to my kids:)
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
- Carefully slice cake in two or you could bake this in two pans or just leave it as one cake and not layer it.
- Remove from oven and cool for 20-30 mins BEFORE removing from the tin. Cool on a rack until cold before icing.
- To make the icing, sift icing sugar into clean bowl
- Scrape seeds from Vanilla pod and mix in icing sugar
- Mix softened butter through icing sugar
- Add in essence
- Add enough milk until firm but creamy paste is achieved.
- Mix until smooth.
- Use icing as filling and icing.
Cut a HUGE slice to have with a coffee or Tea and ENJOY!!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!